Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Red Lentil Soup with Lime

After an extremely mild fall and winter, Europe has suddenly been swept with a bout of freezing weather (at noon today the warmest temperature in all of Germany was 5 degrees Fahrenheit), and Tübingen is no exception. While the actual temperatures aren't colder than I'm used to from New England at this time of year, the suddenness with which they have appeared makes them seem that much colder. And I must say, that the current "feels like" temperature of -5 F is colder than I'm used to on an average day even at home. With these temperature and the lingering ice and snow, when my friend Dee and I decided we wanted to make lunch on Monday, soup seemed like the logical choice. I suggested my favorite soup, Red Lentil Soup with Lime, which my friend Allison discovered a few years ago in my favorite cookbook: Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone." It is a hearty and filling soup that displays vibrant colors and flavors, and it's full of healthy ingredients! Unfortunately I do not have the book with me in Germany, so I adapted this recipe from a version I found on another food blog. Therefore my directions will assuredly be slightly different from Ms. Madison's, but should be quite similar!

Waiting to be served:

Red Lentil Soup with Lime


Ingredients:
2 cups red lentils
1 tbsp tumeric
4 tbsp butter
salt
1 large onion, finely diced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (or 1 tsp ground mustard)
1 bunch chopped cilantro
Juice of 3 limes
1 large bunch spinach leaves, chopped
1 cup cooked rice
4-6 tbsp yoghurt (I prefer Greek yoghurt)

Directions:
Add the lentils, tumeric, 1 tablespoon of butter, and 1 tablespoon of salt to 2 1/2 quarts of water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the lentils are soft and falling apart (about 20 minutes). If you wish, you can puree the lentils so for a smooth and nicer-looking soup.

While the soup is cooking, combine the onion, 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter, cumin, and mustard, and cook in a medium skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally. When soft, which should be about the time the lentils are cooked (or about 15 minutes), add the cilantro and cook for a minute more. Add the onion mixture to the soup, and then the juice of two limes. If desired, add the juice of the third lime. The flavor of the soup should be slightly sour.

Just before serving, add the last tablespoon of butter to a wide skillet, add a pinch of salt, and cook the spinach just until it wilts.

To serve, begin with a spoonful of rice in each bowl. Then pour in the soup, add the spinach, and place a dollop of yoghurt on top. Swirl the spinach and yoghurt into the soup, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment